I’ve been going along and going along on my sweater-to-hat, until my reservations about the shape came to a head (ugh, I know):
It looks like a fez! I thought about a beautiful shell-stitched sun hat I saw in a book once and really wanted to revamp this to look like that. If I knew which of the three dozen knitting books at Barnes & Noble I saw it in, I’d have bought it already, but alas I don’t. The upside to this experiment is that I do like the offset shells and block pattern, and the size is working out, so it was relatively easy to figure out the math for my next attempt, which is this:
My only reservation now is the way the center lacks the weight and strength of the subsequent rounds, which have shell stitches. I don’t know if that will be a problem when I get to the stage at which I can try it on. Perhaps I can use spray starch when the time comes to shape it properly.
I don’t have any pictures, but I have been finishing up another seed bead bracelet. I added “jewelry” to my checklist of things to do every day, and plan on sticking to it. Maybe I will go on to sell the things I make and maybe I won’t, but I did make some commitment when I bought the supplies. I can at least honor that much!