When it became clear a couple weeks ago that this pendant would not be a success, I set it aside to work on other things. I was also waiting until I could buy a riveting hammer; well, that arrived the other day. So, let’s carry it to completion AND get a little riveting practice in, shall we?
So, riveting was much harder than I anticipated without one of those insanely expensive little jig thingies they have at the lab, which holds your wire or tube securely while you cut off a teeny bit for a rivet, or else sand down the end of said rivet evenly. Try doing all that just by holding the stupid thing with your fingers–it’s nearly impossible to get right. This depresses me, because the economy model is a whopping $57. Perhaps I can find some sort of homemade alternative or hardware store item . . . maybe the small vice I have in the basement will do, if I can pad the metal to keep from wrecking it. if not, any riveting I do will have to be limited to class time for now.
I still like the pendant’s design and want to try again. We never did get to etching, so I’m not sure how I’m going to detail the moon’s facial features. I also need to find a way to really, really make a good impression of stars on the copper piece, and get better at filing a good, circular shape. I WILL do this!
Here’s a recap of what I did here, in reverse chronological order: