Last night I finished up something I’d been thinking about since I started noodling around with fold forming last summer. I have a lot of copper pieces lying around my basement workshop, and I’d been trying to figure out how to put them together into an interesting garden ornament (coupled with a giant blue glass bead I’ve been saving for this purpose.) Not all the pieces looked good together in the end, and I had to take out a few I really wanted to leave in (perhaps a second, different ornament will be in order, soon), but I’m so, so happy with what I ended up with.
The wire is darkened annealed steel, and I made all the links by hand (dirty, dirty hand). Most of the copper pieces were made a month or so ago, in the class that just finished up last week:
I haven’t figured out yet how I’m going to preserve the heat patinas. Some of these had already been waxed (those small leaves, in particular; I was going to make earrings at first). I don’t think that would hold up to outdoor use, though. Perhaps I’ll clean them all off and spray the whole thing with clear lacquer. I’m also considering seeing what would happen if I just left it to the elements.