Advanced class has come to an end again! The next one (with emphasis on fold forming, yay!) won’t start for a couple weeks yet. Meanwhile, here’s the last few things I worked on.
I haven’t made a basic 20 gauge ring since beginner’s class, so I thought I’d try it again for quick fun. Perhaps I’ll make a series of skinny stack rings.
This was textured with a cross peen (a hammer I’d really like to own, if I could find one that costs less than SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS.) It’s funny how easy it was this time around to cut and shape and sand and buff it. I even had no trouble hiding the solder join. It’s also funny that I’ve come to realize how flimsy a 20 gauge sheet ring really is. Nice for a starter project, but perhaps I’ll start making rings out of thicker material.
The other thing I worked on this week is a beaded crochet lariat I’ve been picking at on and off since . . . well, since about the time I started this blog two years ago.
It’s about the length I want now, but I don’t know how I want to finish the ends. I can’t seem to find bead caps and cones in an appropriate size, and I don’t know if I want danglies. Perhaps I can learn how to do something interesting in fold forming class for this.
Oh yes, and couple weeks ago, I was talking about my difficulties with wire wrapping stones in class. My teacher dug up some 16 gauge practice copper and–seriously–knocked this right out.
Actually, she did the wrap part, and I did the bail and decorative ends. It was a quick and dirty demo, with lots of tool bite marks and a slightly crooked stone set. It was useful to see, but I’m a bit more concerned with how to do something fancier, like this basketweave I attempted recently:
This is loosely based on something I saw on Pinterest (“prongs” made of loops), but I had a hard time shaping this. Plus, the prongs don’t really hold the lentil bead in place. I tied up the bail anyway, thinking perhaps I can put something else on it–either some decorative wire work on the front and back, or some kind of other bead(s) inside. I guess I could have just strung this bead on a headpin to keep it in place. Anyway, it’s not going anywhere, and I’ll figure something out eventually.
Also, I got busy making little corner protectors for my copper suitcase. I learned that I’d best use headpins to rivet them on, since I probably won’t have enough room inside to hammer the rivets down. Glad I asked about that, because I hadn’t considered it. I might start working on that soon, although it seems tedious as hell. A little at a time should do the trick, I suppose.
But first–I made more copper discs, and I’m ready to use some of them! Stay tuned.