I seem to be having trouble with every single thing I’m working on lately, so I’ve been kind of avoiding this blog because I didn’t want to be a downer. However, things have picked up and I’ve pushed through most of my problems, although I wasted a lot of time playing video games instead of working, because I have a very avoidant personality. Anyway, here’s what’s been happening.
Finally got to the interesting cable detail part of the Kayleen Pullover. That’s the good news. The bad news is, I screwed it up at one point and couldn’t really tell until about eight rows later. Fortunately, I was with my knitting group at the time, and our cable guru was able to fix it . . . or maybe not fortunately, because she fixed my mistake but left one of her own. It was the kind of thing that didn’t really show on the right side, but I knew it was there, and maybe it would be more obvious after washing and blocking, so after a couple days of angst, I decided to go in and fix it myself. Doesn’t sound like a big deal, but cables are kind of my nemesis and I don’t understand what I’m looking at well enough to make repairs. Or so I thought. And now here’s a picture of the scariest thing I’ve ever done in knitting:
It took two tries, a crochet hook, a cable needle, and four episodes of Futurama to get this small bit knitted up properly, but I did it! So that was a confidence booster, and now maybe I “get” cables a little better than I did before.
In other news, my commission-friendly friend asked me if I could fix a brooch she bought online somewhere for . . . well . . . probably too much money. It features a bunch of glass flowers glued onto a base metal backing, which was glued onto a pin finding (it took me a while to realize that there were sharp edges on one of the points because the person who made this probably snipped off the ring that originally made this piece a pendant finding.) Not surprisingly, two of the flowers broke off when she tried to put it on. There wasn’t much I could do except try to glue them back on, which didn’t quite work (glass can be notoriously difficult to glue with any security.) So, with a bit of nail polish remover and a heap of patience, I popped off all the other flowers (not difficult, alas) and tried to remove as much glue as possible. I didn’t quite succeed in that.
Yeah, that glue’s not coming off.
After it dried, I scuffed up the remaining glue as well as possible with a needle file, as rough surfaces hold glue/cement better than smooth ones. Then I replaced all the flowers–which, at least, I was able to clean off, because the original maker had slopped some glue on them–and hypo cemented the crap out of the base and put the flowers back. I don’t know if that was the proper thing to do, but it seems to have worked.
The only problem is that from some angles you can see the shiny surface of the hypo cement under the flowers, and I feel bad about that. (On the other hand, at least you don’t see strange red fibers stuck in the glue anymore, because yes, that’s how it was before.)
I’ve decided not charge my friend for this job, and I’ve also decided that my jewelry teacher was right when she advised us to avoid accepting repair jobs on costume jewelry. So: lesson learned. Let’s move on.
Remember this unfinished thing I’ve been sitting on?
Time has come today. Let’s re-do that wrap and get this pretty stone set!
It’s a relief that this is working out. It’s a very basic wrap, but I guess that’s what this stone needed. I’m considering ordering some gold-filled round wire to put a basket weave on the bail, but don’t know yet. As I keep saying, this wire has a brass core that makes it very hard and a pain to work with. Plus, if I can figure out a subtle way to finish the ends, I think that’ll look best. I’ll think about it. Just getting this far has boosted my spirits.
Oh, and one last thing: before tackling the above project, I decided to fix and finish this abandoned wrap of a repro Roman coin just to get a little fresh practice in:
Nothing special, but I got it done.
And that’s all for now. Here’s hoping my next projects go smoothly . . . and if they don’t, here’s hoping I can deal with it!