I finally did something I’ve been wanting to do for a long time: put together some silver scrap bits into an interesting pendant. I even had enough for two, which is nice if you’re afraid you’ll ruin one, like I am. This first one has been cleaned up in the polisher but needs a bit of Mizzy wheel action to get out the rough bits and solder blorps. And I think a bit of silver black is called for to bring out the stamping and such.
(If you don’t recognize/remember where some of these pieces came from, here’s a trip down memory lane:)
Number two also turned out really well, although I wish I’d thought to fix up some of the edges before I soldered everything together; sometimes I get to class and am so eager to get things done that I forget stuff like that. This one is also exciting because it turned out to be a pretty decent backing for my tube-setting practice. This time I burred out the tube straight and proper (I think last time the problem was I was holding the tube against a slanted v-board, which made for a slanted hole.) I also used Bur Life instead of beeswax for lube; I’m not trying to hype a product here, but the horrible horrible noise was much less this time. That’s something to remember.
I might want to clean this up a bit and put just a wee bit more solder around the tube before I set the CZ and polish this.
Some scraps for this one come from excess roll-milled silver, including leftover from these two projects:
And finally, since I brought this up:
I cut two long pieces of square wire and made an appropriate notch in each of them to make right angles. This time I looked it up in Tim McCreight’s Fundamentals of Metalsmithing and learned that a good way to do this is to start with a triangular file to get a nice groove going without a lot of sliding/scratching around. Then switch to a square file and saw in until you can see a sort of bump on the reverse side. Then you can fold and solder your angle.
Here’s what I have so far. Yes, I need to straighten the wires a bit, and yes, there is excess to be snipped.
Oh, and I did do some at-home riveting practice this week! I’ll go on about that tomorrow.